It is natural for the idea of surgery to make you feel apprehensive, which is why we encourage you to ask your surgeon any and all questions you may have. Here are some steps to take in preparation for your surgery:
- Stop taking Aspirin 10 days prior to the procedure and Plavix or other blood thinners five days prior to surgery, unless otherwise directed by a physician.
- Exceptions may be made. Discuss with your surgeon in advance.
- Due to anesthesia requirements, you are not allowed to eat or drink after midnight the night before your procedure. Also avoid smoking, chewing gum or sucking hard candy. Brushing your teeth is acceptable as long as you do not swallow the toothpaste or water.
- Exceptions may be made if your surgery is late in the day or if your child is having surgery and is very young. Discuss with your surgeon in advance.
- You will likely be able to go home the day of the surgery.
Post-operative care instructions for your procedure can be found below.